Are you a loyal Nespresso coffee drinker? It is true that the brand has struck a chord with all coffee lovers with its wide selection of coffee flavors available in single-use aluminum capsules.
However, if you are one of those looking for a more cost-effective and eco-friendly option, you can opt for compatible Nespresso capsules to fill, also known as reusable or refillable.
Without a doubt, they have become the most affordable option for those who squeeze their Nespresso machines with more than 2-3 cups a day and allow them to experiment with classic coffee flavors, or even those produced locally.
In principle, everything seems to be an advantage, except for some limitations that I will clarify in this article.
- 1 What are Nespresso reusable capsules?
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages of refillable capsules compared to the original Nespresso ones
- 3 Types of refillable capsules: steel, plastic or aluminum?
- 4 Where to buy Nespresso refillable capsules?
- 5 How to fill empty Nespresso capsules?
- 6 Practical tips for successful capsule filling
- 7 Conclusion: are reusable Nespresso capsules worth it compared to the original ones?
What are Nespresso reusable capsules?
VERY SIMPLE! It is an empty capsule to which you can add the ground coffee of your choice, place it in your Nespresso machine and that’s it. It was what we were all waiting for, right?
When looking for them you can get them with different names, but not all of them serve the same purpose, so pay attention to the following explanation:
- On the one hand, you have reusable or refillable capsules. These are usually made of steel, plastic or both materials, you can wash them and reuse them as many times as the manufacturer specifies (in theory).
- On the other hand, there are also refillable (non-reusable) capsules. These are made of plastic and have a very affordable price. They have become the most widely used and you can get them in packages of up to 100 units. But, keep something in mind, THEY ARE SINGLE USE, once the coffee is obtained, they go in the trash.
Of course, Nespresso does not like the idea that you use a capsule other than the original and the brand makes it public that it is not responsible for any damage caused by the use of refillable capsules.
Advantages and disadvantages of refillable capsules compared to the original Nespresso ones
VERY WELL! I must warn you that I will weigh two words that for me are key when evaluating the pros and cons of refillable capsules, I am talking about AWARENESS and FUNCTIONALITY.
- You have the control to choose the coffee of your choice, so there are no limits.
- They are an ecological and eco-friendly trend.
- More affordable prices compared to original or compatible Nespresso capsules.
- Available in different materials and colors according to your choice (plastic, steel, both).
- They are very easy to wash and clean.
- You can make tea or infusions.
- You spend some time filling the capsule.
- You will need practice until you find the right grinding and pressing of the coffee for an optimal result.
- You may not always get the same flavor as it varies depending on the grinding and pressing.
- Nespresso does not cover breakdowns caused to your coffee machine by the use of these capsules.
- Some are not compatible with specific models of Nespresso machines, you should be careful when buying.
- You can burn yourself by immediately removing the reusable steel capsule, you must wait a few minutes until it cools down.
Types of refillable capsules: steel, plastic or aluminum?
Empty stainless steel capsules
If we talk about an intelligent purchase, without a doubt, the steel ones will be the best option. I’ll explain why I tell you:
The durability of it will depend on the material, and it is clear that if we talk about resistance, steel offers you this quality with all certainty. In addition, the material is food grade, except that they are the most expensive, but you could see it as a long-term investment.
You can get two variants of this model of capsules. The first has a completely removable steel lid. The other, for its part, lacks a lid and is included with a series of stickers or stickers very similar to those of the original aluminum capsules.
Empty Plastic Capsules
If you are looking for a good quality/price ratio, the plastic ones would be the best answer. They come with a silicone ring that allows a better fit between the capsule and the coffee maker.
The lid is attached by a hinge, preventing you from losing it and some include a filter mesh made of stainless steel through which the water penetrates.
I am sorry to disappoint coffee growers who consume 2, 3, or more cups a day, as I inform you that plastic does not usually resist the effects of heat on a recurring basis.
Your capsule will be deformed and you will hardly be able to prepare the almost 50 cups of coffee that, in theory, it is supposed to yield (that depends on the brand).
Empty aluminum capsules
This is the material chosen by Nespresso for its original capsules.
If you are looking for empty aluminum capsules, I am sorry to tell you that they do NOT exist (or at least I have not found them).
Instead, single-use plastic capsules are sold in packs of hundreds of units.
These are not reusable, so they are NOT a good option if you want to save money and support the environment.
Pay attention to what follows!
Where to buy Nespresso refillable capsules?
Have you decided to buy reusable capsules for your Nespresso? Need help? Don’t worry, I’ll tell you the main options you have to find them.
Since they are recently released products, it is best that you go to the web. There are two main pages where you can buy your desired refillable capsules, Amazon and Aliexpress. Let’s see which models are the best sellers on each platform.
Buy on Amazon
Global in scope, it has everything you want and you can filter searches based on your requirements.
When it comes to refillable capsules for Nespresso made of stainless steel, the most sold in our country are those of I Cafilas of the FOXNSK brand. It offers a single capsule with a hammer (tamper) for pressing ground coffee.
Obviously, it is the most expensive and is not compatible with some Nespresso models, check the manufacturer’s instructions before buying.
“Will update this list after researching more Nespresso refillable capsules”
Buy on Aliexpress
For those who prefer other shopping sites, Aliexpress is also a good option, although it does not offer as much breadth as Amazon, its offers are worth taking a look at.
It’s just a matter of making a price comparison between both sites, but without a doubt, Amazon is still the preferred one.
Manufacturers usually provide details of product specifications. If you are still not clear with the data offered by the brand, I recommend you not to risk it.
Another brand that has stood out for its intention to protect the environment and give a STOP to the disposal of single-use plastic and aluminum capsules, is Evergreen capsules. It offers 100% ecological coffee capsules made of food-grade stainless steel and reusable. According to the manufacturer, they last forever.
On its website you can take a look at the capsules of this brand, it also has a very useful question and answers session to clear up your doubts.
How to fill empty Nespresso capsules?
The success of tasting your drink with empty Nespresso capsules lies in the filling technique.
So that this topic does not cause you more confusion, I invite you to watch the following video, practical and simple. Pay close attention to the pressing, in my opinion, it is the key (sorry for the SPOILER).
Practical tips for successful capsule filling
Now, I want to share the most effective TIPS so that filling your capsule does not become a daunting task with coffee remaining everywhere.
- Check that the refillable capsule is compatible with your model of the coffee maker.
- Carry out several tests, varying the degree of grinding of your coffee and the pressing. So you can compare flavors until you find the one that most captivates you. I know you don’t want to waste your coffee, but trust me, in the long run, you’re going to save time.
- If your capsule includes a measuring spoon, use it, don’t try to play with the measurements.
- Fit the cap or sticker snugly so there are no leaks.
- Do not close the lid of your capsule under pressure if you see that the amount of coffee you have placed opposes resistance, it is best to press or remove it a little.
- If you’re using tea instead of coffee, experiment with different amounts until you get the blend you want.
Conclusion: are reusable Nespresso capsules worth it compared to the original ones?
The time has come to offer you my opinion as a faithful coffee lover.
I embrace the rise of reusable capsules for Nespresso, and with this, I don’t want you to think that I have something against the exquisite and original flavor of the brand, but can you imagine the millions of single-use capsules that must be thrown away every year? Now, with refillable pods, we have the opportunity to become part of the solution, as well as save money. As simple as that!
However, it seems to me that they are not for all kinds of people, and this is where you have to choose which team you belong to: “ original capsules ” or “ reusable capsules ”.
HERE WE GO!
If you have a very busy life, where every morning you leave home like a racing car and only drink one cup of coffee a day, it will be a waste of time to stop to refill the reusable capsule. Without a doubt, it’s best if you stick with single-use capsules ( genuine or compatible ) and apologize to the planet.
Now, if you are part of a coffee team of more than 2-3 cups a day, stainless steel capsules are your thing. If you have the time to prepare and enjoy your favorite coffee calmly, you can opt for reusable plastic, steel, or both.
Finally, if the coffee maker is in the Coffee Break area of the office, it will be very difficult for everyone to be careful with the reusable capsules, it is best to buy the refillable plastic ones, as they are disposable and cheaper.
And you? Do you already know what type of refillable capsules to choose for your Nespresso?