The Italian coffee maker or also known as a Moka pot is a classic in most homes. In fact, it is still one of the most used methods to prepare coffee.
Now, are you using it correctly? Until now you may not have asked yourself this question, because its mechanism is so simple that it seems to leave no room for doubt.
Next, I am going to explain to you in 10 simple steps how to make coffee in an Italian coffee maker and make it come out perfect. So take note and check that you follow each of the tips and tricks that I am going to give you.
- 1 How does an Italian coffee maker work?
- 2 Parts of an Italian coffee pot
- 3 Steps to prepare a good coffee in an Italian coffee maker
- 3.1 1. Choose a good coffee
- 3.2 2. Fill the base with hot water
- 3.3 3. Place the funnel on top and fill it with ground coffee
- 3.4 4. Screw the upper chamber to the base
- 3.5 5. Place the coffee pot on the fire with the lid open
- 3.6 6. Turn off the heat and close the lid
- 3.7 7. Remove the coffee maker from the heat
- 3.8 8. Open the lid and swirl the coffee
- 3.9 9. Serve the coffee immediately
- 3.10 10. Clean the coffee pot
- 4 How to make creamy coffee in an Italian coffee maker?
- 5 How to make coffee in an Italian induction coffee maker?
How does an Italian coffee maker work?
The operation is really simple.
By placing the coffee maker on the burner, the water in the boiler begins to heat up, causing an increase in pressure inside. This will push the water up through the funnel -where the ground coffee is located- and infuse the coffee that will continue to rise through the pipes until finally exiting through the opening of the chimney in the upper jug.
Parts of an Italian coffee pot
- Lower tank or boiler is the place where the water is added. It has a safety valve that indicates the correct measure of liquid.
- Funnel , also known as a ladle, is a container with a filter where the coffee is added.
- Upper chamber is the jar that joins the lower part. It has a lid and a finer filter. It is the place where the ready coffee is collected.
Steps to prepare a good coffee in an Italian coffee maker
1. Choose a good coffee
Both the quality of the coffee and the type of grinding are the two fundamental keys to obtaining the best cup of coffee.
First of all, choose a good coffee bean, preferably 100% Arabica, and naturally roasted coffee, and grind it yourself at the moment with a coffee grinder.
Note: Remember that the recommended grind for a Moka pot is fine, but not as fine as that used for an espresso pot. If the thickness is too thin, the coffee will taste bitter due to over-extraction. The perfect point is a texture similar to salt or cornmeal.
On the other hand, you may find it much faster, more comfortable, and more affordable to use ground coffee. If you buy the coffee already packaged, always check the labeling to verify that its grinding is suitable for preparation in an Italian coffee machine.
2. Fill the base with hot water
Add mineral or filtered water in the lower tank up to the safety valve, do not exceed it!
Take note: Coffee is mostly made up of water. That is why the quality of the water is as important as that of the coffee. The combination of both is key.
Must it be hot water? Yes, eye without boiling! Hot water prevents the coffee from getting too hot, breaking its flavor and aroma before infusion since the base of the coffee maker raises its temperature a lot.
3. Place the funnel on top and fill it with ground coffee
Put the funnel down gently and make sure it sits snugly on the base. Unlike espresso machines, you don’t need to press the coffee, in fact, it could spoil it.
Simply level the coffee with a teaspoon.
4. Screw the upper chamber to the base
Carefully fit the jug to the tank, you just have to turn and check that the rubber is in perfect condition. Use a cloth to avoid burning yourself with the base, because remember that it will have hot water.
5. Place the coffee pot on the fire with the lid open
Place the coffee maker with the lid open and turn the heat to medium-low power.
Why is the lid open? For two reasons:
- To be aware that the infusion process has a stable rhythm. That is to say, neither that it comes out suddenly or on the contrary too slow because in those cases the power would have to be modified.
- Because of the temperature. The coffee does not heat up as much and a more balanced, sweet, and fresh result is achieved.
6. Turn off the heat and close the lid
Once the bubbling sound that we all recognize that indicates that the coffee has risen completely begins, turn off the heat and cover the coffee maker.
7. Remove the coffee maker from the heat
Remove the coffee maker from the heat so that it does not get too hot and let it sit for a few seconds so that all the coffee finishes rising.
8. Open the lid and swirl the coffee
Stir the coffee before serving.
This will make the flavor more homogeneous since there is always some part more or less extracted. Therefore, do not skip this step.
9. Serve the coffee immediately
Finally, the coffee is served. Remember to drink it fresh and never heat it again, as the quality drops and it turns bitter.
10. Clean the coffee pot
Do not forget to properly wash your coffee maker after each preparation, so you can remove all coffee residues and oils.
The manufacturers advise not to wash it with soap or put it in the dishwasher, only with hot water, as it can acquire a certain flavor and spoil your next extractions.
How to make creamy coffee in an Italian coffee maker?
Unlike an espresso machine, this one does not naturally produce crema. And it is that coffee and water do not react in the same way in both extraction methods.
Therefore, if you want to produce cream you will have to add sugar.
As soon as you see the first coffee liquid come out -the most intense- remove the coffee maker from the heat, pour it into a container, and add a teaspoon of sugar.
Meanwhile, put the coffee maker back on the fire to finish the extraction. Stir the coffee and sugar and finally add the rest of the coffee to the mixture.
Ready! You already have a creamy coffee 😉.
How to make coffee in an Italian induction coffee maker?
The advantage of making coffee on an induction hob is speed, which does not interfere with the safety and quality of the preparation.
To be able to prepare coffee in this way, you must make sure that the coffee maker is suitable for induction. In addition, it is important that the diameter of the coffee maker is not very small, if it is, the induction hob will not detect it.
As for the process, it is the same, so you can follow the steps above.
Now is your turn! Did you skip any of the steps? Do you know any tips that we have not mentioned? I encourage you to give it a try and tell us about your experience in the comments! 👇👇
Leave a Reply