If we delve into the extensive catalog of Delonghi espresso machines, it is easy to identify the brand’s flagship. I’m talking about the best-selling Delonghi Magnifica S Ecam 21.110.B.
The Delonghi Magnifica stands out as one of the cheapest and most complete super-automatic coffee machines on the market. Without a doubt, its great value for money, its compact design, and its many customization options have given it this recognition.If you are considering its purchase, I invite you to continue reading so that you discover for yourself all its secrets and whether or not it is worth making a hole in your shopping cart.
Advantages and disadvantages of the DeLonghi Magnifica S ECAM 22.110.B
- 1 Key features of the Delonghi Magnifica
- 2 Models in the DeLonghi Magnifica S range
- 3 Analysis and strengths of the De’longhi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B
- 4 De’longhi Ecam 22.110.B VS De’longhi Ecam 23.420.SB
- 5 Who would I recommend the Delonghi Magnifica for?
- 6 Opinions and user rating
- 7 How does the Delonghi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B work?
- 8 Cleaning and descaling of the Delonghi Magnifica S
- 9 Breakdowns and frequent problems of the Delonghi Magnifica coffee machine
- 10 Conclusion, is it worth buying the De’longhi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B?
- 11 The best offer to buy the Delonghi Magnifica S
What we like the most
- It is cheap, about €300.
- It offers much more than it costs.
- It has been the best-selling automatic coffee machine for years.
- It is very compact.
- Accepts coffee beans and ground.
- It has many grind settings.
- Integrates automatic cleaning programs.
- Its coffee group is removable.
- Allows you to customize the quantity, intensity and temperature of the coffee.
What we like least
- Configuration options could be more intuitive.
- The two finer grind levels clog easily , but the other 11 are more than enough.
- It could integrate less plastic and more stainless steel.
Key features of the Delonghi Magnifica
- For about €300 it is the best super-automatic coffee maker you can buy.
- It is very compact , it includes great features in a very small space.
- Versatility in terms of the type of coffee format it accepts, ground or whole grain.
- Lots of customization options , especially the ability to set the exact amount of coffee per cup.
- The automatic cleaning and descaling programs, together with the removable coffee group , will extend its useful life.
- It integrates a grinder with up to 13 grinding thicknesses , unusual for a coffee maker of this price.
- EASY TO CLEAN
- USER FRIENDLY
- 1.8 liters
- 9.37 x 16.93 x 13.82 inches
- 19.8 pounds
Models in the DeLonghi Magnifica S range
On this occasion, Delonghi has chosen to offer us 3 very similar versions. To make your task easier and better appreciate the differences, I have grouped the key characteristics of each of them in the following summary table.
if you see it on mobile, scroll the table with your finger to see all the columns.
As you can see, the Ecam 22.110.B and the Ecam 22.110.SB is the same coffee maker, but in different colors; version B refers to black and version S to silver. eye! The color is silver, but the materials are plastic, and the simple fact of being of another color already increases its price considerably.
On the other hand, the Magnifica S Smart is the current and improved version of the Ecam 22.110.B. Delonghi has wanted to give it a facelift with some aesthetic improvements, emphasizing a much more modern, intuitive, and easy-to-use control panel. Of course, these improvements also carry an extra cost.
Apparently, there is no good reason to pay more money than the Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B is worth. However, if the budget is not a problem for you and you want to be up to date or choose the color that best suits your kitchen, choose the model that you like the most.
FI can safely say that the Delonghi Magnifica S ECAM 22.110.B is one of the best super-automatic coffee machines on the market. Why? Well, because it is capable of offering great benefits at a very affordable price. And because it has been a SALES SUCCESS for years.
Analysis and strengths of the De’longhi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B
Highly customizable drinks
It offers a wide range of customization options: the amount of coffee per cup (short or long espresso), intensity (more or less strong), and the degree of grinding (fine or coarse).
Without a doubt, the star function of this coffee maker is the possibility of being able to precisely calibrate the number of milliliters of coffee per cup for espresso.
For a simple espresso, the ideal amount is 25 ml.
Multiple grind settings
Its stainless steel conical wheel grinder can be adjusted up to 13 grinding thicknesses.
The two finer levels usually give blocking problems. However, the other 11 settings are more than enough.
For a strong flavor use 3 to 6. On the contrary, if you want a milder coffee, select from levels 7 to 13.
Compact and robust
As for the manufacturing materials, despite the predominance of plastics in its casing, it gives the impression of being a robust and durable coffee maker.
Another of its most notable qualities is its compact size. The company has managed to include great features in a small machine.
Its small size does not neglect the capacity of its deposits; 250 grams of coffee and 1.8 liters of water.
Steam nozzle and adjustable spout
The height of the spout is adjustable, between 9 and 14 cm high, so you can adjust it to the size of the cup you want.
It integrates a vaporizer tube that combines steam, milk, and air to produce a creamy foam ideal for lovers of cappuccino or latte, among other drinks.
There is nothing better than frothing milk by hand. This way you have complete control over the quantity, temperature, and consistency of the milk foam.
Easy cleaning and removable coffee group
It has automatic cleaning and descaling programs that make machine maintenance much easier. In addition, it has the great advantage of being able to easily extract the coffee group for greater hygiene.
Likewise, it offers you the possibility of incorporating a water filter into the tank. In this way, you will reduce the hardness level of the water, and therefore less limescale residue will be produced. That is, you will have to descale less often.
De’longhi Ecam 22.110.B VS De’longhi Ecam 23.420.SB
In case you still didn’t know, it has an older sister, the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB. The main difference between the two, prices aside, is their external appearance and the inclusion or not of a digital screen.
In this way, the price increase of the Ecam is 23.420.SB model is reflected in improving aspects such as metal casing, LED screen, and integration of a better quality vaporizer nozzle with an advanced cappuccino system.
However, the cost of this machine has fallen considerably since its launch and right now you can find it at a discount of the original price.
Who would I recommend the Delonghi Magnifica for?
To begin with, it must be clear that it is an entry-level coffee machine into the super-automatic range and from a functional point of view it has little to envy other much more expensive machines.
It is designed to meet the basic needs of the general public. Those who have a tight budget but do not want to give up a good cup of coffee.
For €309.90, what more could you ask for? Its value for money is one of the best on the market (to date). Proof of this is its first place in the lists of Amazon’s best-selling automatic coffee machines and the many positive reviews it has.
In short, it is for you if you are looking for a simple and practical automatic machine and you are not going to miss features such as a digital screen or a milk tank that are included in high-end models.
Opinions and user rating
Luckily, the Delonghi Magnifica S has more than 25,000 real reviews that you can read. A clear example of the great success and acceptance that it has accumulated by consumers.
Many times what we need to decide is to know the opinion of consumers who have already tried the product because it is always a good indicator.
Delonghi Magnifica VS Krups Roma
Without a doubt, you are in front of one of the great rivals of the Delonghi Magnifica S. Both share many features in common, but they also have clear differences between them.
In favor of the Delonghi Magnifica, I will highlight the possibility of using both beans and ground coffee and its numerous grinding settings, in total 13 levels.
On the other hand, it should be noted that the Krups Roma or Essential is one of the cheapest super-automatic coffee machines that you will find on the market. Even so, its price difference with respect to the Delonghi is minimal. Difficult decision, right?
Delonghi Magnifica VS Philips EP2220/10
Opting for the Philips EP2220/10 or the Delonghi Magnifica S is not easy. Both machines are very similar both in performance and price.
- 3.8 Pounds
- 5,000 cups
- easy cleaning
- Automatic descaling
- AquaClean filter
- Removable brew group
- Classic milk frother
However, the Philips model could be a step above in terms of the quality of its grinder. Ceramic grinding wheels are distinguished from the usual steel blades by being much more resistant and less sensitive to high temperatures.
On the other hand, if we trust the user ratings and the ranking of the best sellers, we find the Delonghi Magnifica S in the TOP SALES.
How does the Delonghi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B work?
It may take several tries to get the espresso you want, especially if you’ve never used a super-automatic machine before. But don’t despair if it doesn’t work out the first time, it’s a matter of doing several trial and error tests.
The coffee maker is configured to make an espresso with 40 ml, which in my opinion is too much. The ideal would be between 20 and 25 ml. Don’t worry, it allows you to set exactly the amount of coffee per cup you want.
Next, I am going to give you a series of instructions to obtain a perfect espresso with the Delonghi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B:
- Adjust the grinder to the finest degree of grind. Many of the users recommend using level 3 since it is the finest setting that does not give problems.
- Select the amount of coffee per cup. If you want a stronger coffee, turn the adjustment wheel clockwise as far as it will go.
- Press and hold the brew button with the cup icon (until the indicator flashes) and the grinder will instantly begin to perform its function.
- Start making your espresso. When you have reached 20ml press the button again.
- Ready! You have now configured your machine to make and enjoy a true espresso.
Do you still have doubts?
Although the basic operations of this coffee maker are quite intuitive, during the first few days it is very likely that you will have to consult the instruction manual to fully understand each of the parameters of your equipment.
Cleaning and descaling of the Delonghi Magnifica S
One of the points that users of the De’Longhi Magnifica S value most is that it requires few maintenance tasks as it includes automatic cleaning, rinsing, and descaling systems.
If you want your coffee maker to last a long time, you have to clean it thoroughly on a regular basis.
One of the biggest enemies of your coffee maker is limescale. Therefore, the first thing you should do when installing it is to program the hardness of the water. This will determine how often a descaling process should be performed.
Perform the water hardness test that is included among its accessories. If the result is level 1, the water is soft. On the contrary, a level 4 will indicate that the water is hard.
If you want to reduce the hardness level of the water and, consequently, lengthen the time between descaling, use mineral water or a water filter. If you opt for this last option, I recommend you use the DeLonghi anti-limescale filter, its price is very cheap.
eye! That you use mineral water or a water filter does not mean that you can avoid descaling. Approximately every 2-3 months it will warn you with an orange light that you must carry out this process.
When the time comes, it is best to follow the instructions for use. This will ensure that you execute all the steps correctly.
I will tell you beforehand that you need a descaling product. My advice is to buy the original Delonghi descaler, which, in addition to being ecological, is not expensive at all for being an original brand.
Breakdowns and frequent problems of the Delonghi Magnifica coffee machine
Unfortunately, no machine is free from problems and breakdowns. Here is a list of some possible malfunctions and their possible solutions.
- The coffee is not hot: The coffee may not come out very hot because the brew group has cooled down. This occurs when 2 or 3 minutes have passed since the last coffee. To solve this, heat the infusion group by pressing the corresponding button before preparation.
- The coffee has little body or little cream: It is very likely that the cause of this problem is that the grind has been too coarse. To solve this, adjust the grinding regulator counterclockwise while the grinder is running.
- The coffee comes out very slowly: Like the previous point, the coffee has probably been ground too finely. Turn the regulator on the grinder clockwise until you solve it.
- The coffee does not come out of any of the dispenser nozzles: The nozzles are probably clogged. Clean the nozzles with a fine element, like a toothpick, for example.
- The steam output is interrupted during use: The machine has a safety device that stops the steamer after 3 minutes. Let it cool for a few minutes and try again.
- The coffee maker does not turn on: It may sound like a joke, but check that the plug is connected to the socket 😜.
The lights flash: It has several indicator lights that give us information about the status of the equipment. The pilots can blink or remain fixed. Consult the instruction manual for each case.
Conclusion, is it worth buying the De’longhi Magnifica S Ecam 22.110.B?
Telling you that the Delonghi Magnifica S is the best super-automatic coffee maker would be easy. Instead, I have offered you objective data so that you can decide for yourself.
Behind that plastic casing is a large coffee pot. Probably one of the best value for money for its price range.
Beyond being cheap, it offers the widest range of customization options I’ve seen in a long time.
The Delonghi Magnifica S is the clearest bet if you want is to buy a super-automatic coffee machine for around €300 that has nothing to compare with the higher-end models.
The best offer to buy the Delonghi Magnifica S
- EASY TO CLEAN
- USER FRIENDLY
- 1.8 liters
- 9.37 x 16.93 x 13.82 inches
- 19.8 pounds