I recognize that within the wide range of *Delonghi coffee machines, the classic DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB model continues to arouse great interest among those who are looking for an economical super-automatic coffee machine.
If you have been attracted to this machine, you are not on the wrong track. This model from the Italian manufacturer has been a TOP SELLER for a long time because it is a very balanced option in terms of performance and with a very tempting current price.
However, before making such a large outlay, it is recommended that you know all its details, good and bad so that you can make the best purchase decision.
So, if you want to know if the Delonghi ECAM 23.420.SB is worth it, read on. In this review, I will tell you everything you need to know before buying it.
- 1 Advantages and disadvantages of the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
- 2 Key features of the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB coffee maker
- 3 Analysis and strengths of the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
- 4 Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB VS Delonghi Ecam 22.110.B
- 5 Who would I recommend the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB for?
- 6 Opinions and user rating
- 7 How to configure the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB?
- 8 Comparison with its main competitors
- 9 Cleaning and descaling of the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
- 10 Conclusion is it worth buying the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB coffee maker?
- 11 The best price to buy the De’Longhi Ecam 23.420.SB
Advantages and disadvantages of the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
What we like the most
- Stainless steel chrome design.
- Good value for money.
- Very compact dimensions.
- It has a ” My Coffee ” function.
- Multiple configuration options.
- LCD screen with digital controls.
- Self-cleaning and descaling programs.
- Accepts coffee beans and ground.
- The coffee group is removable.
What we like least
- It is not the newest model.
- The upper tray does not fulfill its function of heating cups.
- Grind levels 1-2 are easily blocked, but the remaining 11 are more than enough.
Key features of the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB coffee maker
- Its chromed stainless steel design gives it a much more robust and durable appearance.
- The control panel with LCD screen helps the user throughout the process. Everything is much more intuitive.
- The My Coffee function allows you to memorize the desired amount of coffee for one person.
- Through the «P» button you can adjust and program numerous configuration options.
- Capacity 1 Liters
- Brand De’Longhi
- Color Black
- Removable Tank, Cup Warmer
- EASY TO CLEAN
- CONVENIENT WATER TANK
So that you can see it in operation, I leave you a video of its older sister, the Delonghi ECAM 23.460.SB. Both have the same operation, but this one has an advanced milk system.
Analysis and strengths of the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
Steel chrome design
Unlike Delonghi’s cheaper machines, it features an upgraded design with a stainless steel chrome surface and an LCD display.
The fact that steel components predominate not only gives it a much more elegant appearance but also gives me greater confidence.
- Take note:
In general, a steel coffee maker has a longer lifespan than a plastic one.
Multiple grind settings
It integrates a stainless steel conical grinder that can be adjusted in 13 levels. In theory, it is reduced to 11 since the two finer levels are usually blocked.
Don’t worry, grade 3 is more than enough for an extra fine grind and a strong flavor.
The regulator should only be turned when the grinder is running and not more than one position at a time. You will notice the changes after having prepared at least two coffees in a row.
Beverage display and personalization
A notable improvement over previous models is the incorporation of a digital screen that makes it much easier to use since it informs you step by step of the process.
What I liked the most was the possibility of selecting up to 5 intensities: extra-mild, mild, normal, strong, and extra-strong, and the amount of coffee for each cup. These are the presets
- Espresso: 40 ml.
- Normal: 60 ml.
- Length: 90 ml.
- Extra-long: 120 ml.
- My coffee: between 20 ml and 180 ml.
On the other hand, I have found the “My Coffee” feature quite useful as it allows you to easily customize and memorize a person’s preferences. In this way, your favorite settings are programmed for the following extractions.
Advanced cappuccino system
If we look at the vaporizer tube, it gives the feeling of better quality than those that integrate the cheapest models of the same manufacturer.
With the Hot Milk function, you can simply heat the milk and with the Cappuccino mode, you can create creamy milk foam.
- Take note:
Although the result depends on your own hands and requires some practice at first, I assure you that the foam will be much more consistent than with an automatic milk frother.
Now, I also tell you that if you want to comfortably prepare recipes with milk, you can opt for the DeLonghi Magnifica S ECAM 22.110.B already integrates automatic cappuccino.
Of course, you will have to assess whether it is worth the additional investment it requires. From my point of view, the price difference is excessive.
Removable coffee group and easy cleaning
The fact that the brew group can be removed is a great advantage as it allows you to clean it thoroughly and if it gets damaged you can easily replace it.
Although it integrates automatic cleaning and descaling coffee machines, it is important that you can remove it, since not only does coffee remains accumulate there, but throughout the machine.
Regularly clean the brew group, at least once a month. Usually, we tend to forget about this element and ignore the importance of cleaning it.
Other colors and models are available
It is sold in several colors, yes, all finished in stainless steel. You must look at the nomenclature to identify each color, the acronyms correspond to the initials of the name in English, for example, SB (silver black) for black and SW (silver white) for the white model.
The price can vary quite a bit depending on the colors, but in terms of performance, they are all the same.
In addition, you can also opt for the version that incorporates an additional milk tank, the *DeLonghi Dedica EC685. Be attentive to the offers because sometimes for the same price you can buy the version with an automatic cappuccino maker.
Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB VS Delonghi Ecam 22.110.B
The Delonghi Magnifica S is considered to be the little sister of the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB.
Apparently, both models have very similar designs and features. However, they differ in some respects. So that you can see it more visually, I have prepared the following table:
|Model||Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB||Delonghi Magnifica S|
|Control Panel||Digital display + buttons||Buttons|
|My Coffee function||✓||✗|
|milk system||advanced cappuccino||manual cappuccino|
|Price||See price||See price|
In my opinion, the differences between the two do not make any difference in terms of espresso. It could be said that the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB is a Delonghi Magnifica S with a screen and better finishes, but also at a higher price.
Who would I recommend the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB for?
- If you are looking for a machine of higher quality than the cheaper Delonghi models but without the need to go for much more expensive models.
- If your preferences are espressos or normal coffees, but you want to have the option of making drinks with milk foam.
- If you like to experiment with the different configuration options until you find a coffee 100% to your liking.
- If you are looking for a simple and easy-to-use coffee maker.
Opinions and user rating
If you want to be more sure of your decision, I recommend that you read some of the reviews of users who already enjoy it. Eye, there are thousands of reviews.
It will be very helpful to know all the strengths and weaknesses of this machine.
How to configure the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB?
Next, I am going to give you a series of instructions to obtain a perfect espresso with the Ecam 23.420.SB:
- Select the flavor of the coffee by pressing the wheel located in the middle of the control panel.
- Set the amount of coffee per cup by turning the selector knob until the desired amount appears.
- Adjust the grinder to the finest degree of grind. I recommend using level 3 since it is the finest setting that does not give problems.
- If the quantities that come from the factory are adapted to your tastes, you will not have to change anything. However, for my taste 40 ml of the espresso is too much, the ideal is 25 ml.
- To customize it your way, turn the wheel and select the “My Coffee” feature.
- Then press and hold the one cup button until the message “program amount” appears on the screen. When the coffee maker starts the extraction you must release the button.
- Once the coffee reaches the desired level, press the one cup button again. In this step, a scale or a measuring cup will be of great help.
- Ready! The coffee maker is already programmed according to your preferences.
Do you still have doubts? You can download the PDF instruction manual for the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB directly from the manufacturer’s website. It is likely that during the first days you will have to consult it to fully understand each of its parameters.
Comparison with its main competitors
|Model||Delonghi 23.420.SB||Arabica Krups||Philips EP3221/40|
|Ability||1.8 liters||1.7 liters||1.8 liters|
|Removable coffee group||✓||✗||✓|
|milk system||advanced cappuccino||classic cappuccino||classic cappuccino|
|Price||See price||See price||See price|
Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB VS Krups Arabica EA817810
The most notable difference is that the Krups Arabica does not accept ground coffee and only has 3 grinding settings, details that place it one step below the Delonghi.
Beyond that, in favor of the Ecam 23.420.SB, it is worth noting the possibility of completely extracting the coffee group for much deeper cleaning and that its price is cheaper than that of the Krups.
- Bottom line:
I personally don’t see any reason to go with the Krups model, other than a matter of brand preference.
Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB VS Philips EP3221/40
The Philips EP3221/40 is one step above the Delonghi in terms of the quality of its grinder. Ceramic materials compared to steel ones are much more resistant and durable and also prevent the grain from overheating and acquiring a burnt flavor.
However, in favor of the Delonghi, I have to say that its grinder offers you quite a few more configuration options than the Philips. Specifically, 13 settings will make grinding even more precise. In addition, it is a much more compact coffee maker.
- In short:
This Philips model is a clear rival of the Delonghi for the inclusion of a grinder with ceramic wheels at a very affordable price. Of course, if you are looking for a more compact coffee maker, I would recommend you opt for the Delonghi.
Cleaning and descaling of the Delonghi Ecam 23.420.SB
I really like that this coffee maker is “a bit heavy” with its cleaning notices through the display. Although its cleaning programs are automatic, there are parts that you must clean by hand. Don’t forget about it! It will greatly improve the quality of your drinks.
- Clean the brew group at least once a month. Turn off your coffee maker, remove the water tank and access it through the right side. To carry out a correct cleaning, I advise you to follow each of the steps in the instruction manual.
- Rinse the frother tube after each use. In this way, you will prevent milk residues from accumulating or clogging. Take a damp cloth and activate the nozzle for a few seconds so that steam comes out again and it will be cleaned.
- Empty and clean the coffee grounds container when the message “Empty grounds drawer!” appears on the screen.
- Periodically empty the drip tray. Do not let the red float stick out, as the water could spill and enter the interior of the coffee maker.
- Periodically (once a month) rinse the water tank with a damp cloth and water.
- Carry out a descaling process when the machine asks you to. To do this, strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
One last piece of advice is never to ignore the cleaning and descaling programs. When the coffee maker carries out these processes, it reaches all the points inside, even those that we do not reach when we extract it to wash it by hand.
Conclusion is it worth buying the DeLonghi Ecam 23.420.SB coffee maker?
I have to admit that the Delonghi Ecam 23.4320.SB has pleasantly surprised me. Although it does not differ much from the cheaper Delonghi models from a functional point of view, its stainless steel-clad finishes give the impression of higher quality.
In addition, the integration of the screen is a plus that allows its operation to be much more comfortable and intuitive.
On the other hand, something that I have loved is the possibility of configuring important aspects, such as the intensity of the coffee, the amount of water, and the degree of grinding. Furthermore, it is also very useful to be able to customize a user profile to save your preferences.
The value for money of this coffee maker is extraordinarily good. If the range of features it comes with meets your needs and the price fits your budget, it’s a great choice.
The best price to buy the De’Longhi Ecam 23.420.SB
- Capacity 1 Liters
- Brand De’Longhi
- Color Black
- Removable Tank, Cup Warmer
- EASY TO CLEAN
- CONVENIENT WATER TANK